SailNet Community - View Single Post - Snipe or Coronado 15 for first boat?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012

handsomebob is on a distinguished road
Snipe or Coronado 15 for first boat?

I am a novice and currently crewing at my Club on an inland lake. I am looking to get my first boat to learn on and eventually race. My club has a Snipe fleet and I am looking at both the Snipe and a Coronado 15. I am leaning to the Coronado 15 because it looks easier to single hand, right after capsize, better in self bailing and has more flotation than the Snipe. I have a 10 year old son who will be learning with me and thinks the trapeze on the Coronado looks like fun. It may be better for me to go with the Snipe for support of the few in the fleet but I really like what I see in the Coronado 15. I would be able to race the Coronado at my club because it is one design and has a portsmouth rating. I understand that both boats are racers and not designed for comfort but the Coronado looks a little more knee friendly and both have a high boom. One good thing about both is that they are still being made and support and parts are available. I did see where the Coronado 15 had a design change in the 90's changing the deck making it less round. It is noted that some believe the older style deck is more comfortable. The one I am looking at was built in 1976 and it is about half the price of the Snipe I am looking at.

One more note is that when I grow up I will probably get a Flying Scot which is also a fleet boat my club. I hope to take my wife and daughter sailing once I get proficient and think the Scot is the best of both cruising and racing. Please let me also know if I should skip the Snipe and Coronado and go straight for the Scot. I am thinking the smaller boat will be better for a couple of years to learn on and single hand. During that time I could save up and get a really nice Flying Scot. At this point I only have around $1500 to spend. Thanks in advance for all opinions and advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook