SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing at night?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Tony: One thing you can count on with Sailnet is that you will always get plenty of responses explaining to you why you can't or should not do something...rather than actually getting a response to your question!

Look, here is the deal. Yes, singlehanding is dangerous. But so is taking a dump in Grizzly Country. Do you really want to hold that loaf until you get back to Anchorage?

I have single handed long distances in the open ocean. It can be done and it sounds like you already have a tremendous amount of experience in the open ocean so fear of the unknown, (Another annoying Sailnet theme), is not an issue. I use Radar and set the Alarm for a 10-15 mile radius depending on the conditions. When I am alone, I will nap at night in the cockpit. When the alarm sounds I get up check myself and make the appropriate adjustments. I also set my alarmclock for once an hour just to check myself.

In a heavy storm, I will either heave to or set a sea anchor. I would note that if you prefer to sleep at night you can consider using a Sea Anchor as a way of holding your position.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook