SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rebuilding/Remountinig Keel & Rudder
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012

mcsailor0303 is on a distinguished road
Rebuilding/Remountinig Keel & Rudder

Hi all, I have been reading these forums for a while, this is my first post. I have been sailing/racing for 15+ years, and have completed 3 sailboat projects ranging from repainting a Laser to Rebuilding a Catalina 22. I like to rescue cool boats.

I am looking into a ’77 Ranger 28 on a trailer that has a make-shift rudder (plywood and rudder post), and a keel that looks like it broke and is bolted through (very rough repair work). Sounds like the boat was washed up on a sandbar up in San Juans and jury rigged to make it back to where the boat currently lies in The Dalles, Oregon. The boat has been sitting at a crummy looking car dealership for over a year now, and I would hate to see it get scrapped. They are asking $2000 for the trailer, and have the boat ‘listed’ at $9000…one of the sales people said to make an offer for $4500 for the whole kit. I wouldn’t pay anything over $2000.

Crispy Dacron 4 sail quiver (Main, 110, 130, 160) w/ .75 spin+gear – decent looking standing/running rigging – Solid deck, no soft spots, chain plates solid – interior is OK needs new floor installed, and new cushions – Atomic 4 recent tune-up runs.

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding/remounting keel and rudder on a Ranger 28 (or any other boat similar size)? What would be the max price to offer in your opinion???

Photos to come.

s
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook