SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rebuilding/Remountinig Keel & Rudder
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-14-2012 Thread Starter
Rebuilding/Remountinig Keel & Rudder

Hi all, I have been reading these forums for a while, this is my first post. I have been sailing/racing for 15+ years, and have completed 3 sailboat projects ranging from repainting a Laser to Rebuilding a Catalina 22. I like to rescue cool boats.

I am looking into a ’77 Ranger 28 on a trailer that has a make-shift rudder (plywood and rudder post), and a keel that looks like it broke and is bolted through (very rough repair work). Sounds like the boat was washed up on a sandbar up in San Juans and jury rigged to make it back to where the boat currently lies in The Dalles, Oregon. The boat has been sitting at a crummy looking car dealership for over a year now, and I would hate to see it get scrapped. They are asking $2000 for the trailer, and have the boat ‘listed’ at $9000…one of the sales people said to make an offer for $4500 for the whole kit. I wouldn’t pay anything over $2000.

Crispy Dacron 4 sail quiver (Main, 110, 130, 160) w/ .75 spin+gear – decent looking standing/running rigging – Solid deck, no soft spots, chain plates solid – interior is OK needs new floor installed, and new cushions – Atomic 4 recent tune-up runs.

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding/remounting keel and rudder on a Ranger 28 (or any other boat similar size)? What would be the max price to offer in your opinion???

Photos to come.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome