SailNet Community - View Single Post - Center Cockpit Versus Aft Cockpit
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Center Cockpit Versus Aft Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Just talking about very light winds: You have said " could move in any air". I agree that the new HR are a lot faster than the old ones but regarding light wind the difference is that while a HR (or that type of boat) makes half the wind speed in light wind, a modern performance boat makes almost, and in some cases better, than wind speed (upwind) an that is an huge difference. I know, I have been trying that kind of boats on the last years to select one.
No argument. Half wind speed is good for a cruising boat. Not so much for a racing boat. In the cruising category there is a big difference between boats like Tayanas and Passports and the newer Scandanavian boats.

Quote:
The main difference is with very weak wind, like 2 to 4K, mostly thermic wind. With this wind your boat will be dead on the water while a performance cruiser if sailed upwind will make wind, going a bit faster than the wind.
Nope. I can keep the boat moving in 2 kts. We're not dead in the water. Come sail with me in a Chesapeake summer any time you like.

Quote:
Also with 8/10k, performance cruisers will be near their hull speed upwind while you will be going well, but not near hull speed. For that you will need 12 or 13K.
Obviously dependent on point of sail and the seas but a performance boat will generally do better. Interestingly, some of the mid-weight boats move faster offshore in a sea in medium air.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Faster; 03-15-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook