SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seacocks
Thread: Seacocks
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Seacocks

This can almost rise to the level of debating anchors. I'm old school and haven't embrassed GRP seacocks yet, but acknowledge some of the reasons why they are attractive (corrosion).

However, the principal reason for a seacock is to prevent water from entering the boat, when you don't want it to. Otherwise, you wouldn't bother having one at all. If I understand correctly, you must be diligent in greasing these during the season or risk shearing off the handle from the ball. I've read where users thought they were closing valves, until they hauled and found out nothing was happening.

Just food for thought on the maintenance difference in season. I have no first hand experience, other than a week long charter or two, where I didn't give it much mind. I open and close nearly every bronze seacock every week, as I come and go, which seems to be about all the maintenance they require.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook