Re: Mooring Pendant Length
Do not go to the cheap on chafe guards and pennants. Your boat will in danger of breaking loose in a storm.
A few boats in our fleet have broken loose and badly damages in storms. Upon inspection, the main reason is that the owner did not maintain their chafe guards and pennants.
Some rules from my yacht club.
8. Pennant length from surface to chocks should equal two and one half times the height of the chocks above water and not to exceed three times.
9. All shackles and swivels used in the heavy chain shall not be smaller than the chain size used.
10. All shackles used in the light or upper chain shall not be more than one trade size smaller than that of the upper chain or a minimum of 3/8 inch.
11. Use proper chafe guards on the pennants at the chocks.
12. Pennants must be maintained in safe condition. No nylon upper pennant shall be used more than two seasons. It is recommended that pennants be replaced annually.
13. Chocks and cleats are part of the mooring system and should be attached securely through backing plates.
14. Double pennants shall be used for all moorings. It is recommended pennants be of equal length. Pennants must be maintained in safe condition. No nylon upper pennant shall be used more than two seasons. It is recommended that pennants be replaced annually.
Last edited by wmmulvey; 03-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.