SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012

Trinkka is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
That looks exotic. For what uses is it superior to a regular rolling hitch or prussic knot?

MedSailor
Actually it's a common hitch that every power company lineman has used on a daily basis for many years.
I was a lineman for a town electric department for 32 years and this hitch was one of the first hitches the line foreman taught me when I started. We just called it the "Rolling Hitch" and everyone I worked with used it. I couldn't tell you if it's superior to the hitch in the knot books of the same name, but this is the only one of it's kind that I knew of and used on a daily basis. It's so simple to tie that you could almost tie it with one hand.
I can remember standing on my hooks on a 35' pole leaning out over a six pin cross arm using this hitch to let a wire down with a guy on the ground holding the line after I cut the wire.
I'm right handed and I would merely hold the rope on the top of the wire with my left hand with about 3' of standing part, I'd wrap the rope around the wire CCW with six wraps away from me, and bring it back toward me between the wire and standing part of the first wrap and tie two half hitches at the end of the six wraps. I don't think there's anything easier than that.

One day I tied a 3/8" line around one of my lolly columns in my cellar with this hitch and added a Bowline to the end of the line about 6" of the floor and stepped into the loop and the hitch never slipped.
I've also taken a 3/16" braid line and tied the hitch to my 1/8" back stay with a single sheave connected to it to hoist my shower bag up, and it held.

I sent this hitch to Alan Grogono Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, last month along with a bend called the "Benson Bend". Whether he'll put them on his web site, I don't really know. He seemed interested when he emailed me back a reply.
I use the "Benson Bend" quite a lot on my boat, and so far I've only seen it in the "Sailmaker's Apprentice" by Brion Toss. I've yet to find it anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook