SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maine float plan (Penobscot Bay & Mt. Desert Is.)--your suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Re: Maine float plan (Penobscot Bay & Mt. Desert Is.)--your suggestions?

Your proposed agenda is quite manageable. I'd suggest you buy a copy of
A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast - by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub.
They also have a website. It's full of information on harbors and thoroughfares and local knowledge.

From many Augusts in that area, I suggest that you stay flexible with schedule and destination - come currents are quick, some days have very light wind, there is always FOG, and there are always lobster pots, lobster buoys and lobster toggles (the Cruising Guide has a good section on them.) Bring a wet suit or warm swimming "jacket" for your upper torso, fins and a mask/snorkel with a sharp cutter and a looped wrist band to keep it from falling into the depths.

Despite all my care and knowledge (and cutters on the shaft,) we have tangled with at least one line in each of 8 years and have twice had to dive and cut resulting once in pretty good hypothermia.

Belfast is a nice harbor and good walking distance to the stuff you'll need from a town; also NE Harbor (at your start or end). Blue Hill is beautiful, but well north. But the islands are the best - well worth staying to the southeast of Penobscot Bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook