SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Bruce hasn't changed their consumer anchor design for the betterment of us all because they stopped making consumer anchors. Too many people flocked to the Lewmar Claw. Who's to blame them, it was 1/4 or less of the price and who really knows if it's different enough to drag you onto the rocks.

Here's a thought experiment. If I can weld up a Masocna look-alike would you buy it from me? Those things cost hundreds of dollars! I'll make you one for $99.00

TDW, Bruces are hard to come by now. I got lucky and saw a neighbor unshacklilng his 66lb beast in favor of a Manson. I offered him $250 for it, and he sold it to me for $150. They can still be found at swap meets, craigslist etc.

As for the bolts holding the anchor together, why would that bother you? Properly sized bolts of the correct steel can be stronger than what they're bolted into. After all, it's bolts that hold your chain plates into your hull, and thus keep your rig upright right? Some boats even have bolts holding their keels on....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook