SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke 30B Deceleration Stumble/Stalling
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke 30B Deceleration Stumble/Stalling

I want to preface my comments by saying that I am no diesel mechanic. That said, you basically have a new engine there. The fact that this condition doesn't occur when the engine is cold but only occurs when up to operating temp makes me suspect that there is something in the fuel delivery / injection / timing area. If this were a gas powered engine, I would think about what effect having the choke on that made the engine run better. But it's diesel so things are different. The question here is why DOESN'T it happen when engine is cold. Fuel advance different? Air supply different? Throttle different? I would think if it is the governor, wouldn't it occur when engine is cold as well? I would think so. All that said, I wonder what damage might have been caused by the runaway engine. Did you conduct a compression test to see if all cylinders are equal in cast there was some damage to the inside of the cylinder.

Again, I don't profess to be an expert but I have a basic mechanical aptitude and present these thoughts to help consider likely options and hopefully not to confuse the issue. Good luck in solving the issue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook