SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommended Reading
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The best of the Smeetons work (credited just to Miles actually) is "Once is Enough". available in a series called "Sailors Classics", edited by one of my favourites,Jonathan Raban. Miles Smeeton only wrote a couple of books on sailing, most of his later work was to do with conservation of the environment. John Guzzwell's books are also quite good. He sailed around the world single handed in a 21 foot yawl named "Trekka" and then built himself a much larger boat named "Treasure".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
On the subject of those that have "been there done that" are several books by Myles and Beryl Smeeton, British ex-pat Canadians who bought a boat in England, sailed it to BC as "newbies" and then went on various adventures including a Pacific circumnav and 'round the horn attempts with John Guzwell as crew. Some of these trips included very high drama. Easy reading, admirable resilient people, remarkable accomplishments. The titles escape me at the moment, there are two or three books.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook