SailNet Community - View Single Post - New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012

marktun is on a distinguished road
New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI?

Hello Sailnet Friends,

My wife and I will be taking a Jeanneau 42DS with a 5ft6 keel for a week out of Barrington, RI in Narragansett Bay in mid-August 2012, and we'd love some suggested itineraries that might take us to some new spots. (I do have the Childress cruising guide to this area and am starting to go through it).

We have some familiarity with the area. For example, we've been in the Bay several times for day sails on a friend's Hunter 37, and have taken that vessell to Block Is. 3-4 times, as well as Cuttyhunk and Newport. One favorite spot which will give you a sense of what we like is in South Dartmouth, known to locals as Padanarum.

Clearlly, Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket are obvious destinations, and I wouldn't mind hitting Vinyard Haven on the former, and have some concerns about the best way to get to the latter.

We're looking for a VERY relaxed week of EASY sailing, pre-arranged moorings (anchoring is fine as well), to destinations in Narragansett Bay, Buzzards Bay, the Vineyard and perhaps even Nantucket if folks think it's truly worth the effort. We know to be flexible in our planning, having taken a great Penobscot Bay cruise last summer with great results.

Also, any referral to the best paper chart #'s for these areas would be appreciated....the wife wants to practice her advanced nav skills.

So....what say you, Northeast cruisers? Here's a couple rought ideas, please let me know your thoughts.

Sat: Overnight on boat in Barrington, RI.
Sun: 8am departure to Cuttyhunk. (alternative: Padanarum)
Mon: Cuttyhunk to Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard
Tues: 2nd night in Vineyard Haven, or extra weather day
Weds: Vineyard Haven to Nantucket.
Thurs: 2nd night at Nantucket, or extra weather day
Fri: Nantucket to....Newport?
Sat: Newport to Barrington, RI

I would be happy to skip Nantucket, and return to Narragansett Bay to explore the nooks and crannies within. For example, we've never been to Wickford's Harbor, and I invite those with recommendations of other ports in the Bay to let us know what's really worth seeing. For this trip we'll put a premium on chiillout time, enjoy fine dining ashore in the evenings, etc. So the last few days might also look like this:

Weds: Vineyard Haven to Newport.
Thurs: Newport to Wickford's Harbor
Fri: Wickford's Harbor to other Narragansett Bay harbor destination (suggestions?)
Sat: Return to Barrington, RI

Thank you all in advance.

With best wishes,

MarkTun

Last edited by marktun; 03-18-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook