SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012

pvajko is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I would suggest that, in the first quote, Pvajko is in part misinterpreting what was being said, but in both cases, these conclusions were based on the type-forms and limited testing available at the time that the book was written.
Jeff, don't misunderstand me, I'd love to be mistaken on this. I have a fin keel boat which is perfectly safe I guess for where I sail it.

I always had the impression though that for off shore sailing a full keel is safer, based partly on anecdotal evidence and Marchaj's book (which, I'm happy to admit, I may be misinterpreting, or at least oversimplifying it's reasoning).

If this is not true, that's great news for me because it means there is a lot more (and cheaper) boats to choose from in case I wanted to go off shore.

I wish there was a book or study like Marchaj's available for the general public, summarizing the past 30 years progress on this subject, because, you see, the reasoning like PCP's "[Tabarly] was not a theorist but you can be sure he knows what he was talking about", with all due respect, is not very appealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Today, seaworthiness is no longer forgotten. Designers have long since learned how to design around the concerns raised in 'Seaworthiness' and have the tools to make both of the quoted statements inaccurate.
I'd really be interested to learn what these tools are. Could you give more information on that, or at least point out where to look?

And please, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against the fin keel or any other keel or feature, I'm perfectly aware of the fact that my knowledge on this subject is way to limited to be able to argue for or against anything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook