SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
......family boat (that he loved) the Pen Duick, an old and beautiful old full keeler.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo, thank you for the further details on the wave motion etc. I especially like the photo of the Pen Duick, wow! Those old style low lean boats thrill my blood. I have to say new boats look like they sit on top of the water in the wind, while the old style seem to knife through the water.

Nevertheless, I like the way I can stand up in a modern 27 ft. boat, instead of having to increase size to a 40ft plus boat. So I'm casually looking at more modern boats with headroom in the smallest size that will sail well. They all have fin keels.

I hope I can find some of the information that has been gained in the last 30 years, at a layman's level that I might understand. I've read some good points on this thread, like the fact that with wood, they could not build a strong fin keel like we can with modern materials. Also, today's better understanding of airplane type wings (keels) and their ability to generate lift.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook