SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post

Nevertheless, I like the way I can stand up in a modern 27 ft. boat, instead of having to increase size to a 40ft plus boat. So I'm casually looking at more modern boats with headroom in the smallest size that will sail well. They all have fin keels.

I hope I can find some of the information that has been gained in the last 30 years, at a layman's level that I might understand. I've read some good points on this thread, like the fact that with wood, they could not build a strong fin keel like we can with modern materials. Also, today's better understanding of airplane type wings (keels) and their ability to generate lift.
Regarding standing up on a 27ft boat, probably not the best way to increase seaworthiness, but related with what I said in the last post I will post in the interesting sailboat thread a boat that taking into account what was learned in 35 years of Transats on minis (including a non stop circumnavigation), is proposed as the prototype of the (very) small offshore fast boat.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook