SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
post #106 of Old 03-18-2012
PCP

Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post

Nevertheless, I like the way I can stand up in a modern 27 ft. boat, instead of having to increase size to a 40ft plus boat. So I'm casually looking at more modern boats with headroom in the smallest size that will sail well. They all have fin keels.

I hope I can find some of the information that has been gained in the last 30 years, at a layman's level that I might understand. I've read some good points on this thread, like the fact that with wood, they could not build a strong fin keel like we can with modern materials. Also, today's better understanding of airplane type wings (keels) and their ability to generate lift.
Regarding standing up on a 27ft boat, probably not the best way to increase seaworthiness, but related with what I said in the last post I will post in the interesting sailboat thread a boat that taking into account what was learned in 35 years of Transats on minis (including a non stop circumnavigation), is proposed as the prototype of the (very) small offshore fast boat.

Regards

Paulo
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome