SailNet Community - View Single Post - New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI?

I will need more time to organize my thoughts. For now, I will just data dump. You've already listed the basics.

Lets start out East. On the Vineyard, I prefer Edgartown. Moorings can be reserved online and the current is not as bad as some say. But, be aware. It is also much closer to Nantucket for jumping off. We love ACK (Nantucket). I think in some way, it is because it's the hardest to get to. However, you can literally walk to whole town from the harbor.

Across from Vineyard Haven is Tarpaulin Cove on Naushon Island. Peaceful and gorgeous. Anchor only and no beach landing, other than up to the high water mark. Great to tuck in during prevaling Southwesterlies up to anything through North or north east. Once wind is from the south or southeast, it's no fun.

Back to the Bay. Jamestown Island is worth a stop. Connanicut Marina has moorings and a ferry over the Newport, directly across East Passage. It also stops at Rose Island, of you want to get off and explore. The marina is adjacent to the only town with some great joints. everyone loves Simpaticos. Chopmist Charlies is a bit saltier, but good for a beer and fried food. There is a new place that just opened, named Fishes, which we haven't tried yet. Spinackers is an ice cream place at the top of the dock. They have a Guiness ice cream, which is even better than it sounds.

On the west side of Jamestown Island is Dutch Harbor. Good holding and a typical stop over either entering or leaving the Bay. We often drop anchor there after returning from a longer passage home, just to relax. You can walk across the island to the town mentioned above. It's also a slightly easier walk down to Beavertail, which is a nice park by the lighthouse with beautiful views. Still, it's a bit of a hike.

Wickford Harbor is very cute. Not as much to do, but a nice New England town to walk. The New England Art Festival is there during July. Either look out for it or avoid it, depending on your taste. Mooring are way outside in the outer harbor. Transients slips can be had on the inner harbor, nearer town.

Bristol is a must. The Herreshoff museum is great and provides moorings and slips, although they are somewhat exposed. I think you can get a transient mooring atbthe Bristol Ycht Club, its just a long way to town. Best July 4th in the USA. Great little town. I will come back and post more on it.

Also think about Greenwich Bay. Anchor off the Goddard State Park and dinghy in or reserve a slip inside. The anchorage at the park is good, but can get busy.

Providence may be worth a visit. Not much for us.

Potters Cove on the Northeast corner of Prudence Island is a great spot. The Inner Harbor is all private moorings. Do not tried to squat on one. They all know each other. The outer harbor (cove) is well protected from prevailings and so large that a hundred boats could be out there and you would feel plenty far from swinging into your neighbor.

More to come. Have to go for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook