SailNet Community - View Single Post - Grounding
Thread: Grounding
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012

fmueller is on a distinguished road
Grounding

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and have been enjoying reading but this is my first post. I've got a new boat (new to me). She's a 1970 Dufour Arpege, in decent shape but with some deferred maintenance that I'd like to get around to this spring.

I started today on the electrical system and I'm hoping the forum can help answer some questions about grounding/bonding as I found at least a couple major grounds which were mostly or completed nonfunctional.

Two questions:

-I see a bonding system that connects (or is supposed to connect) the backstay to the keel. Should that also be connected to the neg side of the battery somewhere? if so, where?

-There is what looks like about a 4/0 ground wire running from the motor aft (starting at the same terminal where the battery is grounded to the motor). I followed it back into the aft lazarette and found the end of that wire just laying loose and unconnected in the vicinity of the fuel tank. Is the fuel tank supposed to be grounded? To the motor?

Both of these grounds are in bad shape so I'm going to be rerunning these wires, but before I do I want to know where they are supposed to go. There is minimal electronics on board, but even so I'd like the grounding/bonding system to be right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Fortunat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook