SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Med- you got a bargain, I paid $400 for our used 30kg (66lb). The reason I don't like the looks of the bolts on the roll bar are because if the bar caught on something solid it would put a side load on those two (why didn't they put two on each side?) bolts that hold it on. It wouldn't take much to snap them with the leverage of the roll bar.
TDW- It's been at least 5 years since Bruce discontinued making small anchors. They still make the huge ones for offshore drilling rigs as far as I know.
I've been using a Bruce for over 20 years here in the PNW on two different boats, never had one drag and have only had three occasions where it didn't set right away (once in heavy eel grass and two on solid smooth rock-never did get it to set those two times).
I suppose the bolts on the roll bar could be vulnerable (not really if properly engineered) but then again the roll bar isn't supposed to be a load bearing.

On closer inspection the shank does intersect the fluke closer to the tip, much like the "Sword" or the "Ocean" both made by spade anchors. I wonder if the "Sword" or "Ocean" is the cheap spade that paulo was referring to.

Yeah, that $150 66lb genuine Bruce is some of the best return on dollar investment I've ever spent. Lets see, moorage for my boat runs $75/night and I've already spent around 100nights laying to it in the last 4 years.... Yeah, I'd say that's good value. I kept the 44# genuine Bruce that came with the boat too now that they're scarce, just in case I loose the big one. Although, if I lost the big B I'd probably pony up and try out a Spade. I hear good things.

It seems like it's been a couple years since a big anchor test has been done. Aren't we due for another one to stir the pot?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-18-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook