SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What types of bottoms are you using it in?

Varies a bit but sand (both loose and firm) and mud mainly. Our old CQR would start to let loose at around 35 knots in mud and worse case anchored in over 40 knots we moved half a boats length before holding firm, that in thick mud. Rocna was marginally better. In loose sand the CQR was utterly hopeless the Rocna fine. Our "Bruce" has performed faultlessly in all conditions though this is the new boat so not a direct comparison I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
snippy

TDW- It's been at least 5 years since Bruce discontinued making small anchors. They still make the huge ones for offshore drilling rigs as far as I know.
I've been using a Bruce for over 20 years here in the PNW on two different boats, never had one drag and have only had three occasions where it didn't set right away (once in heavy eel grass and two on solid smooth rock-never did get it to set those two times).
John .... Have done some reading and while our anchor is eight years old so could have feasibly come from the Bruce factory its stainless and I believe they were never made by Bruce in stainless. Be interesting to see what the end result re "who made it" actually is. Not likely to change my opinion though, I still love the thing.

ah yes ... a ps .... Malo use a lot of Lewmar gear on their boats, so maybe thats a clue to origin of anchor.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 03-19-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook