SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteu 49 Sailing in 30+knots
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012

mauiboy86 is on a distinguished road
Beneteu 49 Sailing in 30+knots

We were bringing Fate back to Charleston March 3rd from Wrightsville Beach, and had to sail through the gale that produced the Tornado's and deaths on land... for about 5 hours during the middle of the night the winds were gusting up to 45 knots NW, heavy rains with temps in the 40s, we couldn't see the waves but the spray was blowing sideways and the noise was loud... in the morning the winds shifted SW starting out around 20kts and eventually steady 30 with higher gusts right on the nose. Half the crew had zero experience or was sick so I kept sails small and didnt try to push the boat hard but I still didn't get any sleep. The boat handled great with no problems, even after flooding the cockpit a few times during the night when we got overpowered by the strongest gusts. Just wish I had night vision cameras to catch the worst of it.

Video removed due to commercial content in violation of forum rules. Jeff_H SailNet Moderator

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-19-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Video removed due to commercial content in violation of forum rules.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook