SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chart Plotter vs Software + Laptop or iPad???
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Chart Plotter vs Software + Laptop or iPad???

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
When you set up a route, can you click and drag way points to alter it? Easily save it and name it?
Is the import and storage of NOAA charts really seamless?
Yes to all those questions.

You can save the NOAA charts to whatever location you choose and just point PN to them. When you download updated charts into that folder the new charts are loaded onto PN the next time you open it.

I have a folder called Saved Routes. I do my route planning on a 17-inch laptop and copy the saved routes onto the netbook. It's also easy to change the routes on the fly as we've had to do.

What I couldn't seem to get OpenCPN to do (and maybe it does but I considered a half hour too long to have to figure it out) is seamlessly go to the next chart if my boat moved from one to the other. I never had to think about that with PN, it just does it as long as that chart is in the directory.

It also has an anchor alarm and MOB alarm. We used the anchor alarm once and it seemed to work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook