SailNet Community - View Single Post - Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012

TractorJohn is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

I may be getting in a little late since I've been absent awhile. But if I can help others, fine. I've been there and done that. Rather than mention all the obvious, I will point out problems I have had in no particular order.
you may run off end of ramp, I did once, there was a two foot drop off
your mast raising system may be heavy and very time consuming, Ive done a-frames, gin poles, high line systems and I've dropped masts, you should consider renting a cherry picker or man lift, getting boat positioned on trailer perfect will require guides-don't leave home without them, you must have a four wheel drive with low range to pull up a wet ramp, launching rigging, etc will take half a day minimum, much longer if you aren't any good, using a yard may cause you damage and they wont accept responsibility, hauling down the highway with or without permits is no problem, but make damm sure you have good trailer brakes, for once a season in and out I think the work is worth it, and having the boat at home is really nice in the off season, but for trailer sailing around the country a lot of the hassle goes away as you get smaller. TJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook