SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kind of charger do I need?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012

justonemoreproject is on a distinguished road
What kind of charger do I need?

I've read all the recent threads about batteries and battery chargers and learned a lot from all the posts on this wonderful site. I need a better charger to properly maintain two battery banks,. But I am not sure if it would be better to get a 1 BANK OR 2 BANK charger and what kind of charger I should get.
That will fit my under $150.00 budget.
My system:
Blue Seas Dual System Plus Battery switch connected to an Battery Link ACR (PN 7600) with under voltage lockout and over voltage adjustment.
2 new T125 connected in series to make a 12v, 240 AH house bank.
1 new Walmart group 24 starting battery.
Solar panels that can generate 5 amps a day connected to an ASC series regulator with temperature probe.
New battery cables protected by Blue Seas fuses in the appropriate places.

According to some posts on this site, 2 bank chargers are not recommend if you have an ACR. But I want to confirm tmy version of ACR will make it unecessary to get a 2 bank charger.
I have been diligently looking for chargers that meet most of Maine Sail's recommendations.
These "smart" chargers that are in the $100 to $150 range look like they should be good choices. Does anyone have any comments about them or any other recommendations?

Minn Kota MK-220D - it is sold in the Sailnet store.

NOKO Gen 2
Amazon.com: NOCO GEN2 NOCO Genius Black 12-24V 2-Bank 20A On-Board Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO GEN2 NOCO Genius Black 12-24V 2-Bank 20A On-Board Battery Charger: Automotive

Iota DLS-30 with IQ4.

One other question is, should I have the solar panels and electrical battery charger working at the same time? Could that lead to overcharging or any other problems?

Thanks for looking, I am trying to get this battery set-up right this time.

Larry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook