SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
OK, here's a question. I picked up a 33# Manta claw for $13 when the local West Marine shut down (yes $13 that's not a typo).

Looking at the Manta chart I figured it would be a good upgrade from the 22#Danforth on the bow now. My boat is a 30' Catalina, 10,300lbs unloaded and the 22# Danforth is supposed to be rated for boats up to 38'.

Manta Size Chart
16.5lb Claw Anchor for Boats 24'-30'
22lb. Claw Anchor for Boats 31'-35'
33lb. Claw Anchor for Boats 36'-40'

Reading this thread got me curious. The size charts for the Lewmar are the same as the Manta, but the charts for the Manson Ray are quite different though it looks like the same design. Is this just a case of Manson being more conservative or is there some real difference?

Manson Size Chart
22lb. Ray Anchor, 18' to 25' Boat Length
33lb. Ray Anchor, 25' to 30' Boat Length
44lb. Ray Anchor, 30' to 40' Boat Length

BTW, no windlass so whatever I put on the bow comes up by hand.

I figure either the Danforth or Manta should be enough anchor for my boat, but from reading I understand the Bruce style anchors are quicker to reset.

Thoughts?
Not ever had our 'Bruce' require resetting I can't say whether they do it quicker or not. I have very rarely experienced real dragging once anchor was set but in both cases I can think of I'm prepared to put the blame on not enough scope. When our CQR dragged in sand it simply never set at all.
Once I've had at least 3:1 plus depth of water plus allowance for freeboard and all chain I've not had any problems including the old CQR.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook