SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is your opinion of Bavaria's?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
They sell lots of boats. There are a few that have issues, most famously those that had the keels come loose and in at least one case fall off. But a closer examination would show that their safety records are OK.

Big numbers in the Med charter fleets and they do OK.

Basically you get a lot of boat for the money.
Not again that story with the keel. It was not on the main cruising line but on a performance line they discontinued. They had only problems with the 42 and it seemed to me more a problem of optimistic design than a building problem.

The other boats on the line, the 35 and 38 never had problems:

The first - the Match 35 - competed successfully in a number of Mediterranean regattas. It was followed by the Match 38, one of which competed in the 2004 Sydney to Hobart race.

Of the 116 yachts that started that race 59 retired because of the extreme conditions created by 60 knots winds. The Match 38 - Cure Our Kids - finished 23rd out of the remaining 57. Another Match 38 - Slipknot - finished the last season in Auckland with a cabinet full of trophies.

Bavaria Match 42

They have repaired (modified) all existing 42ft boats and if you have a look at the boat value of the Bavaria Match 42 on the used market you will see that it is good and that suggests that the modification was more than effective and had finished with the problem.

Bavaria 42 Match for sale and charter | TheYachtMarket

Many Bavarias had circumnavigated and some have done it with 36fts. A countryman of mine had done it twice with the same 36ft Bavaria, solo, and it was not the only one, I mean solo circumnavigating on a 36ft Bavaria :

Sail-World.com : Bavaria yachts' offshore success

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook