SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is your opinion of Bavaria's?
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 03-20-2012
Tafa

Re: What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

I had the chance to visit Bavaria boat yard in 2006 and had the whole factory tour. It was a week after that unfortunate Match 42 accident. They did not let us take any pictures.

Summary of my observations,

- At the first glance it's big but not so organized factory. At that time they were having some issues on maintaining standard on finishing. I saw same line of boats with different quality of workmanship. Later same year, a friend got his boat delivered with two different wood finish in the interiors.

- They have an accelerated Hull/deck manufacturing process. At that time, they were laying fiberglass layers wet on wet and Drying the hull/deck in a gigantic oven. Some seasoned sailor friends thinks it's not the best way to make fiberglass hull/deck. May cause osmosis problems in the future. (I don't actually know how other mass boat producers are manufacturing the hull. This is just and observation and comment)

- The Hull/keel joint did not seem strong enough. There were no structural reinforcement in joint area. (I have to admit, we were still under the influence of Match 42 accident)

- Like other mass boat producers, they use market proven brand name components for electronics, plumbing, engine, running rigging, sails etc)

I've only sailed a 42 cruiser for a day trip in light air. So I have very very limited personal experience on performance. But everything on the boat worked properly on that short daysail.

Here's my 2c

Tafa
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome