SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is your opinion of Bavaria's?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012

Tafa is on a distinguished road
Re: What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

I had the chance to visit Bavaria boat yard in 2006 and had the whole factory tour. It was a week after that unfortunate Match 42 accident. They did not let us take any pictures.

Summary of my observations,

- At the first glance it's big but not so organized factory. At that time they were having some issues on maintaining standard on finishing. I saw same line of boats with different quality of workmanship. Later same year, a friend got his boat delivered with two different wood finish in the interiors.

- They have an accelerated Hull/deck manufacturing process. At that time, they were laying fiberglass layers wet on wet and Drying the hull/deck in a gigantic oven. Some seasoned sailor friends thinks it's not the best way to make fiberglass hull/deck. May cause osmosis problems in the future. (I don't actually know how other mass boat producers are manufacturing the hull. This is just and observation and comment)

- The Hull/keel joint did not seem strong enough. There were no structural reinforcement in joint area. (I have to admit, we were still under the influence of Match 42 accident)

- Like other mass boat producers, they use market proven brand name components for electronics, plumbing, engine, running rigging, sails etc)

I've only sailed a 42 cruiser for a day trip in light air. So I have very very limited personal experience on performance. But everything on the boat worked properly on that short daysail.

Here's my 2c

Tafa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook