SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live aboard dream boat
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Live aboard dream boat

Well, i will share not my first hand experience but what i have dug up on the GW 42?
I am looking in to one my self for the same reason just in more troubled waters. The Gulf area to go island hopping. Finding person to person info on a production line of 40 boats is tough.

I have found some old salts that have run far and wide in hellish conditions on the seas. a GW42 and with very few exceptions it was their favorite boat and the vast majority sold them out of personal age rather than any thing to do with the boat it self. They just got to old to own them and use them. It would appear that most were the original owners! They just dont go up for sale much.

My list from contacts..
Pros; space and lots of it, good storage,good power, every one loved the lay out, the inside lay out works well in calm and heavy weather, tough as nails boat taking very little damage in heavy weather, good design, cockpit is for the most part dry in bad weather,just a solid design and beautiful in side and out.

Cons: the black tanks are too small for long trips, most did not like sitting on the propane tank,the teak on deck is a pain and requires a lions worth of work on up keep, some leaks are reported as a result of the teak, all most all have leaking windows for the products used to mount them, " fresh water/rain leaks", a few complaints on the lay out of the stove/counter and sinks, working on the engine and gen set is hard due to space limitations,
larger or older people hated the small companion way " difficult to get stuff in and out of"

I have polled 16 owners for this info. It is not complete by a long shot but it is a start.

i am not selling but here is a nice video of one for sale not to far from me. It is cheesy but you can see just what jewel these things are.

I hope this helps..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook