SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing south from the puget sound
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006

dsbentley is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dsbentley Send a message via MSN to dsbentley Send a message via Yahoo to dsbentley
I just got back today from bringing my 65' Roberts Cutter down from Seattle. We left on the 23rd from Pt Townsend and had beautiful weather leaving out the straight of Juan de Fuca, maybe 3' swell. Our plan was to stay the night in Neaha Bay and leave the next morning, but at Cape Flattery we had only a 5' swell with light winds so we pressed on. We motored all night and the next day going into Newport Or on Tuesday about 10:00AM We left that night around 10:00PM with the outgoing tide. We motored the next 4 days with light NW winds and almost calm seas with a 3 to 6 foot swell and got to Monterey CA on Saturday around 11:00AM then left for San Diego at 10:00PM that night. We averaged 6 knots and stayed about 20 miles off shore. We arrived San Diego last Tuesday morning 10/3/06. You can see my Daily reports that I posted to my web site www.viescape.com under the sailing link. Just click on the Parrothead logo.

I talked to a guy in San D55iego who took a 45' farrow cement boat down in mid August and had gail force winds and 30' seas 150 miles out so you just never know. One of my crew has been sailing for 30 years and he said he has never seen the weather so good. We are leaving the end of this month for Panama the the USVI.

Hope this helps.

David
S/V Parrothead
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook