SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing on a shoestring.
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 03-21-2012
Just another Moderator
Re: Sailing on a shoestring.

Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Reading through this forum I kinda get the idea that there are quite a bit of independently wealthy people here " cheers to you ".
With very few exceptions I suspect that most of us here do not resemble that remark... Off the top of my head I can only think of a few SN members who might appear have some real wealth - and even that is only by inference of the boat they sail and the sailing they appear to do based on what they post - for all we know they could be in hock to their eyeballs...

Many have worked hard, are perhaps now finally mortgage free and managing to support a boat and all the expenses that go with that. In many areas owning a boat is a virtual guarantee of lack of wealth . Others have finally had personal businesses pay off... etc.

I'm thinking you were kidding, but unfortunately that is a common misconception in the non boating public.. anyone with a boat must be rich.. but it's pretty far from the truth in general.

I do envy those able to minimize, as you say, live on the hook full time and disengage from the hustle and bustle.. but that's not everybody's cup of tea either....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome