SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chart Plotter vs Software + Laptop or iPad???
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Chart Plotter vs Software + Laptop or iPad???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
... but we like the above app for its offline ActiveCaptain cruising database. Try AC and you'll never cruise again without it.
Having both aboard, the iPad is much easier to handle than the clunky laptop.
Agree about Active Captain. It is a great resource. It overlays the chart in Polar Navy but I'm on the fence about that. Opening a review only gives you the stars, not the detailed information and the details are more useful to me as they usually contain helpful navigation information. I may continue to use it as a separate web page instead of bringing it onto the chart as the icons can be distracting.

Yesterday I received my new netbook ($119 through Verizon with a 2-year contract). I see that it has a built-in GPS. I'm curious to see if that will allow us to eliminate the external GPS.

The netbook is small, so clunky isn't an issue. I do like that it can stand on it's own.

Someday I'll buy an iPad and give that a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook