SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wing on Wing
Thread: Wing on Wing
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wing on Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
While I respect Jackdale and Faster's opinions, in this case I disagree with their objections to the use of a boom vang as a preventer......
In most cases I do think that using the vang will not cause a problem.. as long as it's an easily moved connection and the rail or attachment point is sufficiently strong. Rigging a preventer (however it's done) can often reduce slatting and shock loading things even on a light day with leftover waves for example.. but I've found that using a vang-like arrangement to the rail doesn't have a good enough angle to truly keep the boom from moving around..(unlike a loaded sail in a breeze downwind) and the sail will continue to slat in the waves despite the 'preventer'. Taking a line from the boom end all the way forward is a much more effective restraint in that regard. So a real 'preventer' setup is just going to be better, and you'll always have a proper vang in play.

Another concern is that human nature being what it is, how often does one reattach the vang to the deck/mast before gybing and resetting the 'preventer' on the other gybe? In heavy air that would be well advised.

btw I do not mean to make W-on-W sound 'scary'.. generally it isn't until it's windy enough to make any DDW an interesting proposition, it's the nuisance of the collapsing jib and the need to be on your toes at all moments to avoid a unintended gybe, esp when using no pole. And when it blows up to say 20+ it's way less scary than a kite...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook