SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Brain is Anchored
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-22-2012 Thread Starter
ccriders

My Brain is Anchored

So, you only have so many boat bucks and you need a new anchor and really want to make a good decision, so how do you proceed?
I previously posted that I was considering a new anchor and rode for my 28 foot 7850 lb disp pearson, and that it would be a Manson Supreme 35 pound anchor, 30 feet of 1/4 inch hi tensile G4 chain and 200 feet of 1/2 inch 8 plait nylon anchor line.
Then I read this report: http://www.alberg37.org/Project%20DB...AnchorTest.pdf
which lead me to further question my proposed set up. In this test it seems a pull of 5,000 pounds is considered the upper limit for a 30 something foot boat (Manson Supreme 35s are recommended for 35 - 40 foot boats).
1/2 inch 8 plait nylon line (Yale) has a breaking strength of 8300 lbs
1/4 in G4 high test chain (Acco) has a working load of 2600 lbs.

Does this mean that the chain will break before the anchor pulls free or the nylon line separates?

Or that I should use 3/8 inch chain (5400 lbs load)?

I understand that nylon will deteriorate over time, but how much and how fast given that it will spend most of its life out of the weather in the locker?

I guess in the past most anchors would drag before the chain actually broke, but now with all these new generation anchors holding at far greater loads, maybe I need to use a larger chain that previously recommended.

I know that everyone is really tired of anchor discussions, but I hope you will take up the gauntlet one more time and help me understand the physics of loads and working strengths, etc.

John
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome