SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Brain is Anchored
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
My Brain is Anchored

So, you only have so many boat bucks and you need a new anchor and really want to make a good decision, so how do you proceed?
I previously posted that I was considering a new anchor and rode for my 28 foot 7850 lb disp pearson, and that it would be a Manson Supreme 35 pound anchor, 30 feet of 1/4 inch hi tensile G4 chain and 200 feet of 1/2 inch 8 plait nylon anchor line.
Then I read this report: http://www.alberg37.org/Project%20DB...AnchorTest.pdf
which lead me to further question my proposed set up. In this test it seems a pull of 5,000 pounds is considered the upper limit for a 30 something foot boat (Manson Supreme 35s are recommended for 35 - 40 foot boats).
1/2 inch 8 plait nylon line (Yale) has a breaking strength of 8300 lbs
1/4 in G4 high test chain (Acco) has a working load of 2600 lbs.

Does this mean that the chain will break before the anchor pulls free or the nylon line separates?

Or that I should use 3/8 inch chain (5400 lbs load)?

I understand that nylon will deteriorate over time, but how much and how fast given that it will spend most of its life out of the weather in the locker?

I guess in the past most anchors would drag before the chain actually broke, but now with all these new generation anchors holding at far greater loads, maybe I need to use a larger chain that previously recommended.

I know that everyone is really tired of anchor discussions, but I hope you will take up the gauntlet one more time and help me understand the physics of loads and working strengths, etc.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook