SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Brain is Anchored
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Re: My Brain is Anchored

Well I support your views for a larger anchor. I would also go all chain if you can store it and get it back up. 8mm chain will be sufficient for your boat.

Keep the nylon rode for spare/second anchor/drogue or use it to tie to a coconut tree.

Most manual windlass' can have rope/chain gypsy - (electric is better for many reasons - but on my first boat - 30ft, I had manual setup). I firmly believe a good windlass is also very good seamanship - If you are too tired pulling up the anchor, you are useless for anything else. Just my view and based on a lot of time pulling up rotten anchors!

I have oversized anchor/s, more chain than you'd expect and an oversized windlass. When the anchor is set, I am confident that I can sleep at night and have done in places blowing 65kn. So oversized ground tackle works for me.

On a few occasions, a good while ago [ and with a different type of anchor and setup] , I have dragged anchor in nasty places and needed to get the thing up and get out of the situation before it became a situation. Now I try and get more choosy where I anchor as well as the heavier gear.

You will get a the whole gamut of advice - so pick out what works for you, ignore the rest.
cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 03-23-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook