SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
post #132 of Old 03-23-2012
Tafa

Smile Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

MaineSail, thank you very much for this great information. Great work, clean and simple explanations, images… even I can understand how to make it  its publishing quality material… Thanks again.

Now……. Here’s what I want to give a dazzling shine

She’s a 1986 Nash 26 and hasn’t been looked after since 2010. I have no idea how severe the oxidation is. And I also want to repaint the stripes with another color. (Dark blue) I have no idea if the stripes are awlgrip or something else.

Here’s the sequence which I’m thinking to follow, based on MaineSail’s suggestions,

1- Clean the hull with FSR or similar
2- Wet sand with 1000 grit
3- Apply rubbing compound
4- Re-paint the stripes (is sanding required after applying rubbing compound?)
5- Finesse It or similar
6- Wax
7- Apply signs (stickies)
8- Paint bottom

My questions are;
- Does the above sequence seem correct? If not what you would recommend?
- From this horrible picture, can you tell how severe is the oxidation (Hopefully I can post some close up pics by Monday)
- Is sanding required after applying rubbing compound? (for re-painting stripes)
- How can I figure out what kind of material the stripes painted with?
- Would that be OK If I take loooong breaks after completing each step (breaks up to one week). (Boat stays 80 Km away from my place and I can visit her max 2-3 times a week) In other words does it get oxidized again if I leave it for a week after I sand it?
- Is it ok to put sticky signs after waxing? If not when it should be done?
- What’s the best way/material to remove previously painted (with enamel I guess) signs on the hull?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Tafa
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome