SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fractional Sailing Experience

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SailinJay 
#1 ·
Greetings!

Anyone here have any experience, or know of anyone, with fractional sailing?

We're thinking about the WindPath entry point and are wondering what the "reality" of a "boat share" is like.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

#2 ·
I would like to lean more about this too. For $600 per month you get 7 of the 1/2 slot (3.5 days/mo). It comes out $175/day rental fee. It is not a bad deal.

I also looked into J-Port too. It is abaut $6000 a year. I made an appointment to do a try sail in the next few weeks. :).

#4 ·
I did do a search using "fractional sailing" and got a slew of titles that didn't reflect what I was looking for, and, frankly, didn't feel like reading through 3 pages of titles & posts to find the needle...

Thanks for the hint however!

#7 ·
Sailtime

I belong to Sailtime. I can tell you I am going to sign up again next session. For me it is well worth the money. I sail on a brand new Hunter 33 in the NY/NJ area. My fees along wouldn't touch what it would cost me in slip fees if I owned my own boat. The amount of times that I want to sail are usually available. I don't have to worry about maintenance, gas or other usual boat ownership problems. The scheduler is nice and easy to work to reserve your time on the boat. The times are broken up into two periods for each day. You can read about the days on their website. The good thing is if the boat isn't being used within 24 hours than you can reserve the boat and it doesnt count against your allocated periods.
Fair winds
Melissa

#8 ·
Greetings!

Thanks Melrna - that's what I was looking for in this thread.

Just a quick update...I have checked with Jon Jones of WindPath of Annapolis on some clarifications. Basically, for a quarter the cost of owning the boat you get to sail on a reservation-based basis. All in all, not a bad deal really. Now, if I could just find the $10k....Anyone need a huge amount of landscape design/build??? :D

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

#9 ·
We have a Beneteau 461, 3cabin 3 head, in the BVI. We own it outright. We are looking for a few competant sailors to join our program. We would like them to committ to 2-6 weeks per year for 3 years, with flexible scheduling. This allows for low sailing costs. An introductory sail is offered prior to committment. The yacht is well maintained by a manager in Nanny Cay and has many upgrades. contact mdales12@aol.com if interested

#12 ·
freddy4888 said:
You might want to find out how flexible scheduling your time on the boat is. The Chesapeake Bay in July and August can be hotter than hell and no wind. It would not be very fun if it's your turn on the boat and it's 95 and no wind

Fred
That's why I don't like sailing on the 'peake. Buzzards Bay usually has very reliable southwest winds during the summer. :D Beats the fluky air of the Chesapeake, which is basically landlocked, at least up by Annapolis. Sailing on it is much like sailing on a lake... Down the southern end of the Chesapeake is much better sailing.

#14 ·
I've been out on the Bay when it's been over 100 with a steady 15-knot wind all day. May be the exception, but this past summer my wife and I sailed on many a warm day with plenty of wind. I am retired, so I am able to take advantage of warm breezy days during the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.