SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012

Oregonian is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

PAULO, I appreciate your participation concerning this Full vs. Fin keel discussion. Once again, however, I believe you have made a misleading statement. And No, I am not kidding. The Salona 38 does not appeal at all to me. I would much rather have an Alajuela 38 if I had to go that large, for long distance sustained voyaging. Do you not think that the Salona 38’s performance might be compromised just a little when carrying a dinghy (I carry 2 full dinghies when cruising on my 32 with my wife), 3 proper anchors each with 300ft rodes, plus 3000# of additional stuff? Maybe, also a dodger, solar panels, and definitely a little more battery capacity? Why carry so much? Because that is what people do, and need, if they are doing long distance sustained cruising. It is my opinion that your Salona 38 when loaded like a real cruiser will sail significantly worse than what you think, or are just saying.

PAULO: “A fast boat can go slower. A slow boat cannot go faster”
OREGONIAN: “A fast boat cannot go fast when heavily loaded. It becomes slower than the slow boat”

For anyone still interested in this discussion, a few (certainly not all) very good ocean voyaging full keel boats that really would surprise the critics are: The whole line of Cape George cutters, the Alajuela 38, the Westsails, the Bristol Channel Cutter and perhaps the best of all, the Falmouth Cutter at 22ft.

And one last thing: the continual reference to needing the “Trade Winds” to move or not being able to go to weather is totally a bogus statement on your part and the other critics. All the boats mentioned have no trouble in light winds or going to weather, if the owners want them to and have the equipment. All those boats can get the job done just fine.

Last edited by Oregonian; 03-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook