SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Brain is Anchored
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012

klem is on a distinguished road
Re: My Brain is Anchored

The tables are in the link provided by Stu Jackson.

Whether you go with a 25lb anchor or a 35lb anchor is a whole different debate. You need to figure out what the worst conditions you want it to reliably hold in. On the east coast, I generally recommend that it be sized to hold through any severe thunderstorm, I don't know whether this would still be the best way to size where you are. Also, you need to know what bottoms you will be anchoring in as this will determine how much holding power your anchor has. If all of the bottoms are hard sand, a 25lb anchor could probably hold your boat through a hurricane. However, if it is silt or soft mud, the 35lb anchor might not hold you even in a tropical storm. Obviously fetch has a lot to do with it so the more exposed the anchorages are where you sail, the bigger gear you need. Since all of these numbers are approximations, you may want some safety factor as well. If you always have good holding bottom and good shelter, the 25lb anchor should be fine for anything that you will run into short of a named event.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook