SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info. for Guests Aboard
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Info. for Guests Aboard

Sabreman, that's a great list! I think if enough folks add these type items, it will result in something very useful. While I do not want to scare anyone off, it is also very clear that some people who want to go out sailing have almost no idea of what is involved. If some things on the list are scary, well, it's because there are numerous ways to get hurt on a sailboat, especially if you do not know what to expect. Probably the fastest way to discourage potential sailors is to fail to give them sufficient information so that they wind up having a miserable time. It has taken many of us years to figure out just what to bring, what to look out for, and how to deal with the things that can happen. To me, the more list-like, logical, and sequential things can be made, the better. I know I have been remiss at times in my assumptions about what people can be expected to do, bring with them, and how they will react. Of course things on a list like this will not all be necessary for short trips and daysailing but all of the safety issues are always in play. Issues as simple as explaining why a passenger's personal schedule cannot be guaranteed is a difficult thing to get across.