SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2001

Mark47 is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

I own a 2001 26x, I sail and motor it in Alaska Prince William Sound, this boat is perfect for my use and for the area. Currents at
7 knots, and winds never when you need them
Make the mac 26x ideal. My wife and I spend a week at a tine in PWS. We sail for pleasure, motor for safty and time. I fish out of the boat a great deal. The honda 50 motor with 30 gallons of gas gets me about 120 miles
under power crusing at 13 mph.
As far as sailing, I have had the sail up in 20 mph winds with a ginny, leaning about 15 degrees. The the highest speed i have reached
sailing was 9 mph, with full ballast. This was a GPS reading.

We beach the boat, explore beaches and we do not carry a dinghy since the boat has floatation built in. I do have two radios.

Prince William Sound is nothing but bays and
coves, you are never out of site of land.

We load the boat with 1000 lbs of gear, water food fishing gear and clothing and beding. Takes a lot to stay warm in the area
even in the summer.

The boat is not stable in 3 ft seas under power, the nose pitches a lot, I would suggest in heavy weather or 4 adults aboard to fill the ballast, the boat handles better in heavy weather under sail than under power.

For the money, this boat is perfect for my area and my use. All the sailing blue bloods
take two days just getting out of the Valdez arm to get to open water to sail.
Mark47
http://windmusher.com

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook