SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012

bugbitten is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace?

I have a friend who's recently bought a '73 Dickerson 36 with it's original Westerbeke 4-107 showing an unrealistic 190 hours on the clock. The boat was a very good buy, despite the fact that the engine had been seriously neglected. He ran the engine twice. The first time there were noises he thought came from the transmission or near where it joins the engine. He shut it down quickly. Folks at the yard thought it might smooth out once on the water. Tried that and "with a clang, clang and a smack, smack, smack she took a breath and froze-up."

He does not have a ton of money in the boat yet. He's willing to sink a fair amount into the engine (I'm guessing up to about 4K, total) but can't decide whether to put that into this mill or something else used that's currently running. He's looking at a 30 HP Yanmar that has supposedly been rebuilt but has sat a while for 2K, but it's RWC.

I read the recent thread about 4-107s and they sound like something you shouldn't give up on easily, unless perhaps if the o-ring lands in the block have corroded and failed.

My question is can the condition of these lands be determined with the engine in the boat? Can he start a tear down before yanking it? The yard is busy and it could be weeks before they could get the engine out for him. It's a fairly roomy engine bay, and the owner is agile and comfortable swinging wrenches.

All words of wisdom will be welcome!

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook