SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbitten View Post
Thanks for the prompt response! I think the yard quoted $400-$600 to pull the engine. I'm guessing getting it back in would be about the same. (Of course, you're right: getting a different engine back in would undoubtedly cost more). He's getting antsy to move forward so he doesn't miss the entire sailing season, which is why I thought maybe he could get in there himself and get enough pulled off the engine to figure out if it's a rebuild candidate. He's very methodical and, while he doesn't have diesel experience, I think he could follow the manual and label and organize everything clearly enough that a pro could take over for him if he decided to go the rebuild route.

John

PS I visited your blog and looked at some of the exploding neighbor pics. Lordy!
I'd pull it and strip the head and pan off - that will tell you if it's done something terminal like throwing a rod. If not then go further - main & rod caps & so forth until you find the problem. Then you can determine if it's suitable for rebuilding. Paying a pro to strip and examine it isn't very expensive - it doesn't take long after its out of the boat.

If it's not rebuildable, I'd get a replacement 107 (I have a Perkins 107 in my boat.) Those old lumps run forever if they are maintained and as you point out - they can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of a new replacement, not to mention the installation/conversion costs for new. A big plus is: think of all the spare parts he'll have. A properly rebuilt and maintained 107 will probably outlive your friends children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook