SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beta Marine - New Hybrid System!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Beta Marine - New Hybrid System!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
I think everyone is missing the point of the concept. It's not just about propulsion. For boats in his size range that would like to have the comfort of airconditioning and a microwave you need ac power. Finding enough room for a generator is not practical so your only option is a portable generator. The concept of adding a generator to the primary propulsion opens up new possibilities in my oppinion.
I personally have chartered one of the Lagoon cats w/ the salomon electric drives. Loved it.
Jim
Yes I agree. The advantage of this system is not in what concerns propulsion. That can be a small bonus if you have your batteries full. The advantage of this system is that you have on one single package a generator and a boat engine.

Generators are disproportionaly expensive regarding the size of the engine, hard to mount and they require space that many times is not available on a small boat, not to mention having to have maintenance with two engines.

Electrical capacity is not only needed for the ones that want to run AC but to all that want to stay out of marinas for a considerable time.

This is a very good system for any cruising boat that really cruises (out of marinas) and pretty useless for one that is used on week-ends or that coastal cruise for one marina to another.

I would like to have one of those babies on my boat even if I doubt that it would fit (too long).

If I remember correctly this has nothing to do with the Lagoon system. Lagoon had electrical motors (lower power) and a generator to charge the batteries. Here you can run your diesel engine as a conventional engine, without a significant loss in power

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook