SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at buying a Discovery 47'
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

A 30 something boat would be ideal for travel only. There are other reasons behind looking at this one vs something for travel only. This is a compromise. I'm less concerned about the general size and more about the reliability and function of this design, and what to look for (aka deal breakers so I don't fork out for a survey on a obviously unusable host)

1. affordability. Somewhat unique to the area, housing is really hard to come by. Rent and living on land makes this look cheap. It's in the only live aboard marina in Vancouver. Average waitlist time to get a slip there is around twenty years right now unless you buy a boat with a slip. That boosts the price substantially. It's a coop, fees are about 150/month including laundry, workshop access, underground parking. For comparison a two bedroom condo next to the marina would run 650, 000$ easily. Impossible on my income.
Condo fees for that could easily run another 350/month, often plus parking (100/month at the nearby parkade).
it's boat or land housing in a much smaller place far out of the area I study and work in which will still cost a lot more.

2. Size. The size allows me to share the boat with another person, cutting the mortgage costs roughly in half. I've had 4 serious requests to share, plus my girlfriend who basically lives at my place anyways. while docked it would be 2-3 occupants.

If I have a family later there is space to grow, might seem weird elsewhere but here many young families are in 500 sq foot places.

My father backing me on this means a compromise on benefit to him, for his vacations with family the size is ideal.

The draft issue and potential keel issues are the kind of thing im worried about, and general info on these boats, I can't find anything! What to watch for, what wears out. Any input like that is really appreciated. Also any input on the price for the boat vs what a similar boat elsewhere goes for?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook