SailNet Community - View Single Post - In need for a crash course on Networking
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
In need for a crash course on Networking

Recently purchased a new Simrad NSS unit and I have been very impressed with the unit. The chartplotter is compatible with NMEA 2000 networking.

I want to network my wind and depth to the chartplotter but still want my instruments to function as is. My instruments are Datamarine and on the older side but are in excellent shape and function fine, so I don't really want to replace them at this time.

It looks like I will need a Simnet / NMEA 2000 which appears to be just a hub. Do you run the cable from the hub to the instruments or connect directly to the device of instrument e.g. transducer, wind anemometer, etc... How does it communicate to the chartplotter through the hub since there could be several input cabling (perhaps one from a autopilot, depth, wind, etc...)? If you need to hook them directly to the devices then the current instruments would not function since you would be re-routing the cables to the chartplotter. Or do you run back out from the hub to the instruments.

Additionally, if I later decide to upgrade the instruments but not the devices (again, transducers, wind anemometer, etc...), how compatible are Simrad and Raymarine instrument heads with these devices?

Thanks

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook