SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at buying a Discovery 47'
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

Victoria is possible in the future, but not now. I need to be in Vancouver at least 5 more years. My folks are from there.
Having talked things over with the owner, I've got a lot to chew over now. Marina fees are 5.50 a foot per month roughly, on top of the 52, 000 buy in, but that includes some of the bills I was adding on top.

Having owned it for 20 years living aboard, his picture of costs is quite accurate I think.
To account for potential issues, I rounded up on every expense to the next hundred per month and rounded down my income to the bare minimum in hours and pay where I work(very unlikely within the next 2-3 years, by which time I'll graduate, and lose the tuition expenses). I then did the same estimating again assuming I lost my job and had to pick up one at minimum wage.

It's closer than I'd like to the maximum I can afford in the minimum wage case assuming I am paying everything all by myself. Living with another person and even in that case I'm still living more comfortably than I was two years ago.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook