SailNet Community - View Single Post - In need for a crash course on Networking
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: In need for a crash course on Networking

Hey,

What you are trying to do may not be possible. It depends on how old your instruments are. In order for this to work you need to have instruments that support networking. The old standard is NMEA 0183. But not all Datamarine instruments support that. Some are just stand alone instruments that are not networkable.

If you do have NMEA 0183 instruments, to use them on an NMEA 2000 network you need a 'gateway'. Something like this
Actisense NGW-1. Bi-directional NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 Gateway > Introduction

If your older instruments are not networkable, you can get new NMEA 2000 sensors. This one will handle the weather needs:
Maretron : Marine Electronic Instruments
This one will provide speed / depth / water temp:
Maretron : Marine Electronic Instruments

The nice thing about NMEA 2000 is that most devices are compatible. Certainly all standard things like depth, speed, wind, etc. are.

Please note that I am not recommending any one manufacturer. I also haven't done very much if this stuff, I've just read about it. On my own boat I have a NMEA 200 network, but just for GPS information. I also have an NMEA 0183 network for AIS received information.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook