Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Coast, NSW
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 6
First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)
Thought I'd post a better target for the thread drift (but more important subject of) the discussion here
Basic requirements are as follows:
- Camping berths for six, two adults and four children under twelve
- Keel boat as we don't really have a place to put a trailer-sailor
- ~$30K maximum price as we're not rich and are averse to borrowing before the mortgage is paid off.
- Mostly for sailing Lake Macquarie, but plan to use it occasionally for coastal sails up to Port Stephens and down to Pittwater (40-80nm) for a couple of days "camping"
So far we've had some interesting suggestions (here & locally) that I'll list below:
- Manitou 32 - we're ruling it out, but it does technically fit the requirements
Edit Notes: Apparently, it does not have the right number of berths
- Bonbridge 27 - small but sails well and does have a (cramped) six berths.
- Carter 33 - lovely boat, fits all the requirements but the average price. Looks pretty good to me and bears investigation.
- Clansman 30 - Great looking boat, perhaps a little cramped but seems pretty close on the mark.
- Southern Ocean 32 - Again, looks like it ticks all the boxes. I am not sure of her sailing characteristics though.
I'm trying not to be unrealistic (no "bluewater cruiser ready to sail for under $10K"
), but realise that fitting a family with four boys is not something easily done at this price.
Feel free to chip in on what you think of the above suggestions and/or add some more. Depending on the responses, I might edit this post with more details/models so others can find the information easily.
Last edited by BentSailor; 03-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.