SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)

Thought I'd post a better target for the thread drift (but more important subject of) the discussion here.

Basic requirements are as follows:
  • Camping berths for six, two adults and four children under twelve
  • Keel boat as we don't really have a place to put a trailer-sailor
  • ~$30K maximum price as we're not rich and are averse to borrowing before the mortgage is paid off.
  • Mostly for sailing Lake Macquarie, but plan to use it occasionally for coastal sails up to Port Stephens and down to Pittwater (40-80nm) for a couple of days "camping"

So far we've had some interesting suggestions (here & locally) that I'll list below:
  • Manitou 32 - we're ruling it out, but it does technically fit the requirements
    Edit Notes: Apparently, it does not have the right number of berths
  • Bonbridge 27 - small but sails well and does have a (cramped) six berths.
  • Carter 33 - lovely boat, fits all the requirements but the average price. Looks pretty good to me and bears investigation.
  • Clansman 30 - Great looking boat, perhaps a little cramped but seems pretty close on the mark.
  • Southern Ocean 32 - Again, looks like it ticks all the boxes. I am not sure of her sailing characteristics though.

I'm trying not to be unrealistic (no "bluewater cruiser ready to sail for under $10K" ), but realise that fitting a family with four boys is not something easily done at this price.

Feel free to chip in on what you think of the above suggestions and/or add some more. Depending on the responses, I might edit this post with more details/models so others can find the information easily.

Last edited by BentSailor; 03-26-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook