SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

quick question with regard to anchoring near port of everett, puget sound, wa

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
hello; my name is stephen kenneth. i have a quick question for anyone that live's and sails in the puget sound...i believe i can pretty much anchor anywhere i want as long as it's outside of the shipping lanes...i just picked up a little 25footer and instead of paying moorage..i'm considering just anchoring her outside of the port of everett....does anyone know if this would be a problem? thank you. skr

#3 ·
Looking at what is used for a lot of moorings - mushrooms & so forth, I'm curious what a REALLY BIG anchor would do in this situation.

I'm thinking of an anchor many times normal size. For example, the Bruce factory recommendation for a storm anchor for my boat was 20 Kilos - how would, say, a 50 Kilo anchor do for a long term moor in a quite protected cove?

I'm thinking of a situation where the chain to the anchor would be buoyed with a float when leaving and then picked up and reattached to the boat when returning. Swinging room isn't a problem since it's fairly shallow near the head of the bay. Storm winds pass across the mouth of the bay, not into it. Seas never get over a couple of feet.

The reason I'm curious about this possibility is because there is no marina moorage available anywhere near where I live. There IS however, a nice, quite protected cove 2 blocks away. :). Dropping a conventional mooring there would almost certainly cause squawking and intervention from officialdom but anchoring there is perfectly legitimate. Also, a monster anchor is still a LOT cheaper than a mooring and it's easily removable when wanted.

Anybody have any relevant experience?

#4 ·
I know a case where a sailor applied to the feds for a mooring bouy giving long and lat coordinates .Dammed if they didn't give an OK, and bobs the uncle. Maybe it was an oversight but yu never know. I do know I would never use an existing bouy. Last one I looked at in Oak Bay was a cement filled 20 liter pail.

#5 ·
Thanks, maybe I WILL take a shot - even if they say no, you can still anchor there. Part of the foreshore there was once zoned for marine business of some sort so maybe if they look at some old maps? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.