SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Help chartering First Boat in Caribbean
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006

Valdare is on a distinguished road
Discloser we have a boat with VIP in the US VI St. Thomas.
Check them out great people and you'll save a day of your trip.
We always go down the first two weeks in December (past 5 years). Only lost two days last year due to the Christmas Winds. We were at Culebra and had 50kts at night, and 45 the next day.
That time of year you need to be into your anchorage (mooring ball) by 4:00PM at the latest anyway because it gets dark pretty early that time of year. IF i were going at your times I would do the BVI's the first week and spend the second Week doing the US VI. St. John has some great anchorages. The south side is great and empty 99% of the time. Salt Pond has some of the best snorkeling and hiking in the islands. Our opinion. We normally spend the last two days on the south side, snorkel buck island off St. Thomas before returning the boat and catching a 3:00 PM flight home.
St. Thomas also offers some good provisioning and Cruz bay on St. john is a great place to re provision after you check back into the US. This is also my wife favorite place to shop. She is happy with one day of shopping. One thing we didn't know until a couple of years ago, you can usually catch a bus from any of the anchorages to Cruz bay. So no need to go to Caneel Bay, catch a mooring ball and dingy in. Caneel bay may look like a tranquil anchorage but it is not. When we do we slip around to the North side of St. John. Snorkeling at Cinnamon bay is great. Very Rocky at night.
Hope to see you the second week in December.

John
S/V Better than Popcorn
US VI VIP Yachts
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook