SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at buying a Discovery 47'
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

I looked into buying Porpoise (the one in the photo on the Sailboat Data page) from Bill Killam a number of years ago. It was the very first Airex core boat ever built - very high tech in the late 60's - and preceded his brothers maxi Graybeard. It was a pretty neat boat and had been hot in its day but it was well worn and overpriced IMO. It would have been a fabulous boat for cruising these parts with that pilohouse layout.

It was HUGE - 35 to 50% bigger than my Columbia 43 if my time hazed impressions are correct. Stairs from the dock were required. It would be an expensive boat to maintain. I imagine you'd need crew to take it out, although the broker told me Killam was selling it because, even though he didn't need glasses or hearing aids, at 90 Y.O. it was getting to be too much for him to singlehand! He kept it at RVYC Jericho so it was about the best possible berth for doing that but still....

Even if you were GIVEN that boat it would cost you tens of $thousands a year to continue owning it - over $500 just to fuel it - consider carefully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-26-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook